Sunday, July 4, 2010

This writing life

Well, I've started a blog about nothing, with no real point other than keeping up with those of my friends, but now I'm really excited about it!

I've decided to use it to document my writing journey. I'm working on a memoir at the moment, because...because I have a story I feel needs to be told. It's hard slog. I started it when I was pregnant with Nathan, who's now four!

It's hard slog.

There are three main rules of writing:
1. Know what you want to write.
2. Write it.
3. Stop.

Numbers 1 and 3 are the hard ones, especially with memoir. There's just so much! I spent quite a while on the theory of "write a little bit each day", and now I have so much crap to sort through it isn't funny. I don't have time for that now, with three kids and a house to organise. I'm writing when I have something to write about.

Last week I had SO much to write about, like it was flowing out of me, theme, structure, key plot points. It was emotionally draining, but the outflow was good. To write well you've got to inhabit the emotions again, and for me that can take a while. I'm not good at turning it on and off like a switch. Then the writing stopped, and the emotions were still there. It's Monday now, I'm feeling "nornal" again, but left with such a passion to write!

Tomorrow is the boys' day care day, so hopefully today I'll work on cleaning the floors and putting away all the socks and underpants in the laundry, then tomorrow the whole crazy process can start again!

2 comments:

  1. Megan,
    Your a brillant writer, no doubt about that. Your also an inspiration to me - the way you have this interactive relationship with words. Its like a romantic love, you crave words and they crave your creativity. Words come in contact with you and leave you being moulded into something thats attaractive, and desirable. What a gift you have.
    Love ya
    Sally Napthali
    sallynapthali.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Megan, thanks for your comment on the ICFW blog! Welcome to blogland! It's a fun place!

    ReplyDelete